Anti-Inflammatory Pineapple Drink (Pineapple skin drink)
- 1 pineapple
- 1 ginger finger, skin removed and cut into chunks
- 1 turmeric finger, cut into chunks
For extra flavor:
- honey, brown sugar, or Swerve
- Cut the pineapple the way you would normally. Discard the top and the bottom. Keep the sides and the core for the drink. Enjoy the meat separately.
- Wash the pineapple. Place cut pineapple pieces in a large bowl and cover with water. Add 1TBSP of vinegar. Soak pineapple pieces for 5 min. Rinse well after soaking. This will not change the flavor of the pineapple.
- Place pineapple pieces, ginger and turmeric in a pan. Add enough water to cover.
- Bring the water to a boil and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Turn off stove and let the liquid steep. Let the drink steep for a minimum of 30 minutes. Steeping is about extracting the flavor and health promoting compounds so the longer the better.
- Strain the solids
At this point the drink can go in your fridge to be enjoyed!
Or, add in additional ingredients to elevate the flavor.
Steps for Extra Flavor:
- After straining the solids, rinse your pan and add the pineapple drink back into the pan.
- Add juice from lemons, limes, oranges (This is delicious with 1 or a mix)
- Add sugar, honey or swerve and stir until it is dissolved
- Strain again if you want to remove citrus pulp. (This is not necessary, depends on how much you like pulp.)
- For adult beverage treat: Pour a shot of rum over ice and fill glass with pineapple drink.
- This is also a great starter for a refreshing Summer Sangria.
What is Swerve?