What is a Décolletage? It’s the neck and chest — and a critical cosmetic area that often gets overlooked. I’m sure you’ve seen someone with beautiful spot free skin on their face, and then your eyes go to the neck which is wrinkled, and the chest wrinkled and filled with dark spots. The face and Décolletage do not match. Don’t make the mistake of paying more attention to the skin on your face than to the skin on our décolletage. It will age your overall appearance. If you are wearing an open shirt or plunging neckline your Décolletage is on full display. So, treat them equally.
How to take care of your Décolletage:
- The skin on your décolletage deserves just as much care and attention as the skin on your face. Your skincare routine of cleansing, moisturizing, exfoliating, and applying topical treatments should include your décolletage.
- Like the face, this part of your body is prone to sun exposure and premature aging. It’s also a common area for skin cancers to develop. Protect it by limiting sun exposure especially during the hours of 10am to 4pm. When in the sun, apply a zinc-based sunscreen.
- Décolletage skin is delicate. Treat it similarly to the way you treat the skin around your eyes. No pulling, stretching, or tugging. Be gentle when applying sunscreen, moisturizers, or serums to your neck and chest areas.
- Yes, your neck and chest need exfoliation, too. Because the skin is delicate, use a gentle exfoliator to polish your skin for a brighter and more even-looking tone.
- Use products with antioxidants like vitamins C and E. Both are anti-inflammatory and known to improve skin tone and texture, hydrate the skin, and reduce signs of aging.
- Use a hydrating mask to boost hydration, soothe, plump, and restore skin to reduce wrinkles and dark spots.
- Good posture matters. If you spend too much time looking down at a phone or computer, your neck and chest area can become wrinkled over time.
- Sleep on your back if possible. Sleeping on your side increases chest wrinkles. If needed, prop up some pillows to stay on your back!